The European PhDnet “Literary and Cultural Studies” offers a distinctively international research training programme in the fields of literary and cultural studies jointly designed by the participating institutions.
In order to ensure optimum conditions for doctoral candidates in pursuing their PhD, this research programme builds on the experience gained in the International Graduate Centre for the Study of Culture (GCSC) and the International PhD Programme (IPP) “Literary and Cultural Studies” at JLU. In close collaboration with the international partner institutions, this research programme was further adapted to the goals of the European PhDnet.
Therefore, the PhDnet
- facilitates joint supervision within its international networks and awards binational degrees according to the Cotutelle Agreement
- offers a highly structured international curriculum jointly organised by the participating institutions and designed to meet the specific needs of (international) PhD students
- integrates the doctoral candidates into national and international academic communities and facilitates international PhD students’ entry into the German academic landscape
- acquaints PhD students with state-of-the-art theories, methodologies, approaches and concepts in the fields of literary and cultural studies;
- ensures high academic quality of the dissertation while, at the same time, reducing the time needed to obtain the degree
- encourages independent research from an early stage on by fostering publication and conference experience on national and international levels
- provides ample opportunity to acquire academic and practical qualifications in cooperation with the GCSC Teaching Centre and the GGK/GCSC Career Service, such as systematic training in academic teaching and other practical and professional skills.